Post and Telecommunication:
Lhasa Post Office
Address: At the crossing of West Beijing Road, to the east of Potala Palace.
Address: The Fifth Branch Road, the east part of Lhasa.
Besides the Telegraphy Building, there is IP telephone booths and telephone super-market in the city. Usually, it has the services of the international and domestic long-distance calls.
In Lhasa, internet café be found everywhere, internet services are offered in most of the streets and hotels. Tourists can make free choices.
The circulated currency in Tibet is Renminbi (RMB). Foreign currency can be exchanged in Lhasa, Shigatse, Tsedang and Zhangmu. The bank of China in Lhasa provides such services. But only the general office of the Bank of China accepts the travelers’ cheques and cash advance. There are lots of hotels offer foreign currency exchange services too. You can exchange your money into Renminbi according to the exchange rate of that day with your valid passport. Visiting other places except Lhasa, Shigatse and Zhangmu, you would better have enough Renminbi with you. But you can have some US dollars with you too.
For travel to Tibet you will require both a visa for China and a Tibet Entry Permit. The Chinese visa should be obtained before leaving home whilst the Tibet Travel Permit is usually arranged either in Kathmandu, Nepal, before setting off for Tibet, or in China; both are arranged by the local travel specialist you will be using to make travel arrangements in Tibet on your behalf. All passports must be valid for six months. For applying of Tibet travel permit,we will need the following information of each client: Full name, sex, date of birth, nationality, passport number, profession.
Best Season for touring in Tibet
April to October is considered as the best season for touring in Tibet. From July to September there are more rainfalls and the scenery is beautiful.
Necessities for Touring Tibet
The weather has a big gap in the morning and evening. You have to bring enough clothes such as down coat and woolen sweater. Tibet has strong ultraviolet ray. In addition to sunglasses, it is useful to bring some sun- blocks to prevent sunburn. It will be good if you bring some high calorie solid food with you, such as cookie, chocolate and candy. You can also buy these food in Lhasa.
1) Doing everything slowly and taking a good rest.
2) Drinking much more water.
3) Stabilizing the temperature of your body and not to catch by cold.
4) Bring some pain killer medicine which doesn’t cause a heavy sleep and first-Aid kid with you.
5) Do not take any smoke and Alcohol.
6) Open the windows of your room while sleeping, sometime you may feel breathless.
Things to Remember
1) Do not take any picture of Army, Police and the government officials.
2) Do not touch any statue (mostly in monasteries) while you are having sightseeing or tour around Tibet.
3) Do not talk and ask to other about the Political matter in Tibet with Chinese and Tibetan too.
4) Do not share any information about the political issue or matter to others while you are chatting, sending message, calling with friends and others when you were in Tibet, China.
5) Do not wear short clothes and do not wear heavy jewelry while travelling in Tibet.
6) Do not express anything, pointing out any particular persons near around you in Tibet.
7) Do not forget to bring your passport, permits and your visa while travelling.
8) Do not bring any fruits and restricted books (Like Lonely Planet Tibet Traveling Book..etc) while you are entering the Tibet land.
9) Do not walk far from your hotel to any other place because in Tibet all the roads, houses look like same so, you might be misplaced.
10) Do not do and say anything which is against the morality, religion and ethics of the Tibetan people.