Daily Dispatches

Title: USA/JAMAICA Everest Expedition 2009

10 May 2009 : Lhotse

linkedin share button

Looking down the Cwm from the base of Lhotse

Kame got up early this morning and went back to BC, while Pemba and I decided to do an acclimatization hike to Lhotse, but only after the sun hit our tent. We had a nice hike to the base of Lhotse. We saw a handful of people climbing up to the South Col and wondered if we had missed a weather window. A quick call to Eric in EBC confirmed that the weather was deteriorating rapidly and high winds were expected.

At some point during the day Pemba and I decided to stay at C2 until we got a summit window, but that was before we got Eric's updated weather forecast. We were low on food and fuel and radioed EBC for supplies.

Pemba and I spend the afternoon in our tents chatting away while it snowed and the winds hit our tent hard. This continued most of the night and we wondered if the summit teams on the South Col would attempt a summit bid.