Daily Dispatches

Title: Everest Expedition 2008 Spring

28 March 2008: Hiked back the way to Khumjung...

linkedin share button

This morning we had breakfast as usual at the Sunshine Lodge. Each meal on the trek has been ordered off a menu, with very good selection. Generally in the morning we have milk tea or coffee, eggs or omelet, fried potatoes and toast. The cheese toast has been really good. All of the meals have been very good with no ill effects on any of us

After breakfast we hiked back the way we had came from Namche. A short distance from Namche we veered off to the left to climb up towards Syangboche. We had lunch in Syangboche, which is where the runway is located up above Namche. For lunch we have stayed with various fried rice dishes, soups and pasta.

Our next stop of the day was in Churned where we visited the Hillary Hospital. By the time we got to Khunde we were above most of the trees. The terrain is very rocky except for the many fields where they are planting potatoes.

From Khunde we hiked down towards the Dudh Koshi for about one half hour to Khumjung. This is our stop for the night. There is a new building being built next to our lodge (Ama Dablam View Lodge & Restaurant) and many people planting potatoes in the fields throughout town. After settling into our rooms we walked to the Hillary School. It includes all grades through high school. Than we visited the Khumjung Gompa. We were allowed to take pictures in the Gompa, which included a yeti head in a cabinet. During our walk in Khumjung we were treated to our first snow on the trek. At our present elevation of only 3790 meters it was more sleet and hail than actually snow. No doubt that will change as we continue up to Everest base camp.

Chet and Mingmar walked over to Magic Yeti Library at the Sir Edmond Hillary School in Khumjung. Pasang the librarian was very nice to open the library up for Chet and Mingmar to see. The library received help from the Alex Lowe Foundation.

Throughout our trek we have been using a SteriPen to purify our drinking water. As I mentioned previously, none of us have had any stomach problems. Thanks to the SteriPen we have had plenty of water without having to buy bottled water. The process is quick and easy – only taking 90 seconds for a liter of water. It has also saved the 100 to 150 rupees per bottle of water. That also helps with liter, since we don’t have all those empty plastic bottles.